Hey, so I finished knitting these handspun gloves and still had plenty of yarn left over in the skein and so decided to make a beret out of the leftovers. Initially, working with my gauge information and having knit many a Le Slouch in the past, I was going to just getting knitting some ribbing, do a bunch of beret increases and switch to moss stitch for the body of the hat.
But after working the ribbing, there was something just not quite right about the hat. I couldn’t put my finger on it. So I set it aside and got caught up in mystery shawl knitting (the subject of another post) and traveling down to NYC for an Easter Weekend trip. Oh and I also moved for the first time in 5 years in there somewhere.
After things settled down a little, I found myself stuck at home with a cold and in between mystery shawl clues, I decided to pull out the ribbing and start again. This time I opted to follow the Purl Beret pattern. I liked the idea of having less noticeable decrease rounds in striping handspun instead of a star pattern of paired decreases.
I had to adapt the numbers slightly (as I usually do) to match the gauge of the yarn I was using. Somehow I never end up using yarn that is a straight across replacement for what’s called for in the pattern. But it’s an easy enough thing to fix. Knitting math is pretty easy most of the time.
The knitting went really quickly once it was restarted. And suddenly I had another hat. Just in time for warm spring.
And eventually I took some more official pictures of this hat.
Though I really haven’t worn it yet.
It quickly became to warm for hats.
Oh, and there’s still a sizeable amount of yarn left over from this skein. I guess I might be starting a scrappy crocheted blanket at some point.