Yes, we woke up to this view everyday. This is why I make it my business to travel halfway around the world once a year when remotely possible.
It’s not the usual Christmas tradition, but it’s become ours. We figured out that we’ve been going to Hawaii off and on for 17 years now (almost every year). Not everyone can make it each time, my brother wasn’t able to this time. And some years my parents go on their own for spring break, like when their children get nostalgic for prairie winters. But this is one holiday tradition that isn’t hard to participate in.
What did we do while we were there?
- go to the beach like it’s our job
- got chased by 3 sea turtles
- I stepped on a bee
- fell asleep in the sun
- read nearly 6 books
- knit a pair of socks
- watched so many movies, including Django Unchained, The Perks of Being a Wallflower, On the Road, Hyde Park on Hudson, Silver Linings Playbook and Promised Land at the Maui First Light Film Festival
- drank many tropical drinks
- got carded when we finally went out to a restaurant
- played countless rounds of Dutch Blitz
- reclaimed an email address I haven’t used in 7 years
- ate lots of lobster, steak and orange cheese
- went for hippie pizza with Luna & Sam
And I also posted a bunch of pictures on Instagram (which also got posted over here on Flickr).